Saturday, October 20, 2012

Packed and Ready

It's here. We leave this morning for about 26 hours of travel and tomorrow will be soaking up the sun in Santa Rosa del Sara - (a place so small it gets no props on the new iOS6 maps app). Tessa is so excited she couldn't fall asleep last night. I asked her why and she said she is looking forward to watching a movie on the miniature TV screens on the plane. Sadly, I had to inform her that we are flying American Airlines and we should be thankful enough if the seats are merely bolted down. She also says she wants to make new friends in Bolivia, but wishes she could take hers with her.

I can't think of anything else to pack, mostly because it would require throwing something else out. Last night, a bag of almonds were sacrificed in lieu of a bag of bladder catheters for example. We were really packed by about 8pm, but I remained restless as I often do the night before a trip. I don't think I've forgotten anything, yet I KNOW I've forgotten something. This anxiety is only kept at bay by endlessly searching for that something, and when that doesn't work, I make the requisite last-minute trip to WalMart for fluorescent orange duct tape, a pink umbrella, and a fresh bottle of Gaviscon.

Now it is morning and I've had a few good winks. The coffee is brewed and I am now clinging to the familiarity of my morning routine (except for the blogging, that is) - Bible, books, fireplace, couch, and trying to let the girls sleep as long as possible. Tomorrow we will wake up at 11,600 feet (LaPaz) and on Monday morning I'll be reconstructing the MacGyver coffee setup to caffeinate our team before setting up the OR. On one hand I feel unsettled, on another hand I'm looking forward to resuming what has become my routine away from my routine, and I am quite happy that I will be joined by my family.


Reflecting this morning on all that I have to be thankful for. The number of people who have contributed to this trip is astounding. 4H kids collecting vitamins, sales reps donating their stock, numerous people contributing towards the anesthesia machine (fully funded in one week!)... I have no hope of offering a comprehensive list. It is truly humbling to see the interest so many of you have taken in setting this project up for success. In a way, you will be with us as we care for patients and their families in Santa Rosa. Thank you.

If you have opportunity to pray today, we've got some specifics for you.
- Wendy has been feeling a bit under the weather, mostly fatigue.
- We have a LOT of luggage and we are hoping American Airlines does not try to bail themselves out of bankruptcy with overage charges.
- We have a heavy but delicate Anesthesia machine (now clearly labelled as fragile with lots of fluorescent orange duct tape) in search of a gentle baggage handler in Chicago (and for a TSA agent who can distinguish it from an explosive device)


- We have a small team with some noteworthy gaps (no nurses, no techs) that we are hoping can be filled with Bolivian volunteers.
- The lavish hotel Ochotu (with AC in every room) is filled with Oil Company employees, so we will be staying someplace else -AC tbd. Sounds petty, but temp is 90's during the day, overnight lows around 78 - it can really suck the energy out of the team.

Thanks again, everyone. We'll keep you posted as often as we can.


- Posted using BlogPress

Location:Manitowoc, WI

No comments:

Post a Comment