Friday, April 5, 2013

Testing, Testing, Uno, Dos, Tres

Testing out the latest version of the blogging app I'll be using on our trip. I'll try to post a few pics of trip preparations to see how those work on each site.

About to embark on fourth MMI project in Bolivia dating back to late 2010. It has become a home away from home, complete with colleagues/ friends who are becoming more and more like family. I must confess that I am getting very excited for what lies ahead. Our team is small, but since this is a surgery-only project, I will get to work in the OR with the Bolivian MMI staff who are normally out at remote clinic sites. Wendy also gets to come sans kiddos. Though I will miss them dearly, it will be fun to have her undivided participation in the workings of the project.

Packing is always an adventure. Overwhelmed with all the donations of supplies we have received. So many people to thank, I shudder to leave anyone out. Someone suggested getting in touch with Ethicon/ MAP international who donated roughly $10,000 worth of suture alone. A number of others sold me medicines or supplies at a remarkably and consistently low price of $0. Still others drove well out of their way after scrounging up hernia mesh which is always much needed. Others donated leftover supplies - one man's trash is indeed another's treasure. Others helped with the time-consuming task of sorting through all that stuff (at one point my office had more needles and syringes than the Jersey shoreline). Others have donated funds for the anesthesia machine which we will again use to keep our patients safe and comfortable. Others simply ask and show interest in the project, offer their prayers and encouragement, and wish us good luck and God's blessings. Some give us vaccines on short notice. I could go on and on.

Now the kids are tucked in bed, as are Wendy's parents who will love and nurture them (a.k.a. spoil them rotten) this week in our absence. The bags are packed and will barely make weight. I have made the last neurotic trips to Walmart and Fleet Farm. I have lost, then found my passport (and along with it, my sanity). We pull out at 9:00 tomorrow morning and land in Santa Cruz roughly 24h later. Word has it the hotel has WiFi. Will plan on keeping you all updated.


- Posted using BlogPress

Location:Manitowoc, WI

No comments:

Post a Comment