Thursday, February 19, 2009

An Evening with Daddy

Having been back home for a few weeks now, I am fully settling back into life in America. Work is back in full swing, the kids remember who I am (though Tessa was confused for a while after a recent haircut), and Wendy wants her life back. This evening, she got her chance. She belongs to a book club, and though she may not have actually read the book (details, details...), I was not on-call, so she could actually go. This, of course, leaves me alone with the girls.
Thursdays tend to be busy, so I didn't make it home until about 6:15. The girls had already eaten, but they at least had a burrito waiting for me which I scarfed down in the kitchen while getting the preparatory debriefing before Wendy cut loose. The girls would need baths (no problem), Emma left her mermaid barbie outside (it's 10 degrees out - and all she has on is a bikini!), and Wendy took apart Tessa's crib and put the toddler bed in her room (some assembly required). Having been involved in the disassembly of the toddler bed 9 months ago (it was Emma's at the time), I immediately headed upstairs to work on this. Wendy offered to rescue mermaid barbie from her icy abandonment and put the girls in the tub. Tessa decided to have a potty accident (#1, mercifully) and Emma offered to "help" her (no worries, at least it's bath time).
Five minutes later, I'm upstairs ratcheting the "bumblebee bed" together and I hear a blood-curdling wail from downstairs. Wendy has retrieved mermaid barbie, but found her head frozen to the driveway. Upon picking the doll up, she proceeds to decapitate Emma's prized toy (and Emma was present to witness the assault!). Emma is inconsolable, tessa is naked, I'm on my hands and knees looking for a missing washer, and Wendy is late to book club (I'm sure they start promptly). Now I'm all for providing the wife with a girls-night-out, but did she have to disassemble the furniture and behead the toys right before leaving?
Somehow, I manage to finish bathing the girls (things go much quicker once they get a little soap in their eyes) and get them into their jammies. I manage to find all the parts and get the bed assembled (almost to OHSAA standards) all while Emma is begging me to attend to the more-urgent task of reattaching Barbie's head. Wendy was at least nice enough to lay out some suture before she left. While we attempted "recapitation", Tessa managed to make a diaper for Elmo out of some feminine hygeine product and managed to spill water on her new bed. We finally gave up on Barbie (for now), read some stories, brushed teeth, and got the girls tucked in bed (sentence encompasses 45 minutes of sheer bliss). I then proceeded to operate in peace and was able to bring barbie back to health without so much as a stiff neck. She is now tucked in bed with Emma, ready to brave the elements again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Your way of describing all in this article is in fact fastidious, all be able to effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a lot.
    my web site - weight loss secrets

    ReplyDelete