Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Altitude training

   Tuesday and Wednesday were both long operative days.  The experience has stretched me because diseases present so much further advanced than I am used to (the tumors are bigger, the wounds larger, etc) and I am working in disciplines that I don't have specialty training in.  It has been a lot of fun, though - like a kid in a candy shop, we say.  I would love it if I could do this much surgery at home with so little paperwork and without having to wear a pager. 
    After work, I was able to get into a game of pickup soccer with the OR staff for the second day in a row.  Maybe they were kinder to me, or maybe I'm getting used to the altitude, but I was able to go about 30 minutes this time.  I took the hint, though, when they offered to let me be the keeper.  I know I'm out of shape, but I'm sure the altitude is playing some role.  It takes forever to pay off my oxygen debt, because there ain't much flowing in. 
   After soccer, we had a traditional Ethiopian dinner with Injerra (acidic flatbread rolled up like an ACE bandage), Doro Wat (chicken stew with hardboiled eggs and incredible spices), lentils, onions and potatoes.  It was awesome - even better than the Blue Nile back in Columbus.  I have to wait until this weekend, however, to enjoy a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony.  I can't wait.  I may even adopt it as my morning ritual at home.
    Sharon, the OB/Gyn Missionary returned today from a trip to visit her parents in Kenya.  I can't tell you how glad John and I were to see her.  We were thankful that we were able to go a few days without any obstetric complications while she was gone.  We still might do some C-sections while we're here, but at least we know we have backup now in case things don't go so well. 
    Later in the evening, John and I got called to see an acute abdomen.  The guy said his belly started hurting after lunch, but so did his shoulder.  We took him to the OR and he ended up having a spontaneous splenic rupture.  He had lost a ton of blood, but was actually quite stable.  A spleen is a heck of a lot easier to deliver than a 10lb baby, so we had it done in no time.  He may need a blood transfusion or two, but he should be fine. 
    Overall, things have been a great experience so far.  I'm being stretched as a surgeon and I'm getting to work with some incredible people.  It's a bummer I won't get to cross paths with Paul Gray, the full time surgeon here.  He hasn't been here long, but his mark is already on the place in a very good way.  May God sustain his passion for what can be an exhausting job (and I'm only doing half of it for only two weeks!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment