Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Soddo Speak - A Lexicon for visitors

Terms I wish I had known or understood a couple of weeks ago.
 
- Ready (adj):    1. I'm getting around to it.
                        2. It will be the next thing I do...when I next do something.
                        3. I am standing in the room where I will next do something...once I do it. (why are you still staring at me?)
 
- Single use only (phr):    - This does not translate into Amharic
 
- There is a patient in Gyny ward (phr):  - "You need to do a C-section yesterday"
 
- Yes (n):  1.  Yes (if spoken with brisk nod and direct eye contact)
                2.  I will do my best to guess what you just said (spoken with brisk nod and some eye contact)
                3.  I think I understand and will ask someone else when you are gone (spoken with slow, deliberate nod and two raised eyebrows)
                4.  I have no idea what you just said, but can't bear to have you explain it (spoken with slow, deliberate nod and no eye contact)
                5.  He's out of his freaking mind (spoken with slow, deliberate nod, one raised eyebrow, and knowing look given to other Ethiopians in room)
                6.  No (spoken without any eye contact)
               
- No (n): - rarely used in Soddo (considered rude)
 
- Saline (n): - An extremely valuable substance used sparingly in contaminated operative cases and kept the farthest possible distance from the operating room (in the same place as the gauze, tape, bandages, and exam gloves). 
 
- Stat (adj): - also without Amharic equivalent
 
I am sure that I could add more terms to this list, but these are at least the bare essentials is one is to participate in healthcare.  I hope you find it useful, or at least enlightening.
 
-Matt
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment