Tuesday, January 13, 2009

here we go again

So, all my prayers that the babies would stay in their mommies' bellies kind of backfired on me.  They woke us up at midnight to tell us that a lady had been laboring since 4pm... the day before, with no descent.  We rolled out of bed and went up to see her, and it looked like she didn't have much fight left in her.  The fetus was a transverse lie and firmly impacted in the pelvis, and it wasn't going anywhere.  We booked the case, then re-read the atlas, just to be sure we hadn't missed anything the last time. 
    This case went a bit more smoothly at first.  When it came time to deliver the baby, however, it was still pretty stuck.  It's shoulder and hand came out first, which left less room for the head.  We ultimately got it out okay, but it left the uterus a bit traumatized and it tore through one of the uterine arteries, which tends to bleed a lot.  We managed to get it controlled and all ended well.  This lady was less anemic to begin with  than the previous one, so I think she'll be okay too.  We got to give the baby to her mother while she recovered.  One proud grandma.  We finished up around 2:30am.  Satisfying, but this every night OB call is for the birds.  I don't think I'll volunteer for that duty when I get home. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking I need to skip all of your C-section posts. I was not nervous about my upcoming surgery until I started reading your blog. :(

    Praise God for a sovereign God that provides you with the skills you need when you need them!

    ReplyDelete