Saturday, April 5, 2014

Heading Out Again


                I have two suitcases, each at roughly 50.0 pounds.  I have my carry-on, as well as a generously stuffed “personal item.”  (For those who are wondering, I have decided to leave my tampon-ammo belt in Wendy’s suitcase.)   I am brewing my coffee (Yirgacheffe via Chemex) for the road,  finishing up breakfast (complete with a side of Atovaquone/Proguanil), and waiting for Jon (Klatt) and Dorothy (Grossheim) to  pick me up for the ride to O’Hare.  Wendy and the girls just left for the Easter Egg hunt at church (that should be fun in the fresh snow), but not until after we took care of the final round of extra-tight hugs. 

                 I love finally heading out the door for the airport.  It brings closure to the time of harried preparation and opens the door to all that is to come – the team, the patients, the adventure, the stress, the joy, the warm weather, the sights, the smells (good and bad), and the opportunity to see how God works out the details in spite of my best efforts to overlook them.  I feel privileged to go.  Humbled as well.  Mostly at this point, I am thankful for all the people who have already played a role in supporting this project.  You may have donated essential supplies.  You may have rearranged your schedule to accommodate those of us who get to go.  You may have prayed or sent words of encouragement.  You may have given us your old suitcase.  You may have told us “be careful” or “come back safe.”  You may have donated money to help someone do this for the first time.  Regardless, your gift has not gone unnoticed.  Thank you so much for helping to make this project a reality. 

                OK – gotta pour the Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment